Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Favoriate Local Thirft Stores

I visit thrift stores in the greater Chicago area about 1-2 times per week, sometimes more if I'm working on a project or if there's been a stressful work week. Most of the time its just to browse, but when I'm looking for something specific, there are some go to thrift stores that never fail.

Clothing/Jewelry
I've found some amazing current and vintage clothing at these locations. Recently my sister, who has a shopping addiction and two rapidly growing children, joined me on a trip to the Salvation Army in Lincoln Park and helped me find a Michael Kors jacket and brand new UGG boots (under $50 combined). I love finding vintage handbags, silk scarves,shoes and dresses. As a short, curvy girl-its hard to find good, structured clothing without spending a ton of money. Last year, I found a 25 cent Diane Von Furstenberg scarf which paired with the two basic DVF dresses (size 10!) that I scored earlier that fall. 

Great Stores for Clothing and Accessories
Salvation Army-Lincoln Park
Brown Elephant-Oak Park
Salvation Army-Skokie
Savers-Downers Grove
Goodwill-Bolingbrook

Furniture/Home Goods
Finding and hauling furniture and home accessories is an addiction for me. Even though I am temporarily relocated to my parents home and most of my life is in a secured storage locker in Skokie, I still myself picking up "filler items" to furnish my new home. Last week, I came across a wonderful Moroccan inspired coffee/tea table at the Skokie Salvation Army. It's blond wood and was obviously a project that someone intended to finish. After we refinish and paint it a deep mahogany, it will go perfect with my other recent fabulous purchase-a beautiful wool rug from the Villa Park Goodwill.
A great find at the Villa Park Goodwill. We have a carpet shampooer, so cleanup is easy!

This $19tea table is just waiting to be sanded, primed and refinished!


Great Stores for Furniture and Homegoods
Salvation Army-Lincoln Park
Brown Elephant- Lakeview/Boystown 
Goodwill Villa Park
Goodwill Naperville
Goodwill-North Riverside
Salvation Army-Downers Grove
Salvation Army-Morton Grove
Unique Thrift Store- Chicago/Elmwood Park

I visit many more stores than the ones listed more and love discovering new ones.

What are some of your favorite thrift stores?

No comments:

Post a Comment